Friday, October 8, 2010

Day 3: Shanghai








Our group plus new friends!


After the presentation 

World Expo: Shanghai, China 2010


Fundan University Gate

Fundan University

Fundan University

Today we visited Fudan University and gave our presentation to an auditorium full of students and student affairs professionals. Our presentation was well received and I am most impressed by how gracious the Chinese people are in general. At lunch we had (another) fabulous Chinese meal with some interesting options. I was encouraged to take a slice of what commonly looked like "headcheese", a German luncheon meat, and dip it into a dark sauce. I was told it was pork so I did as I was encouraged. When I took a bite I was surprised to discover that it was very hot (the sauce). I inquired a little stronger as to what I was eating, and I was told it was pork ear. During the van ride back to the hotel, Brian was talking about the pork with the "hot sauce" that he enjoyed during our meal. He was shocked to learn that he was eating pig ears, the expression on his face was priceless.

Lesson 2: be sure to ask plenty of questions before diving in with your chop sticks.

We visited Fudan's new campus in the afternoon and it was fabulous. Beautiful marble and granite buildings, and the landscaping was phenomenal. It is their new law and professional school campus.

I learned something very important today. It is humanly possible to be addicted to tea on two continents. Dr. Bird has the Chinese people chasing after iced tea for her every where we go. It is simply amazing to watch! The Chinese people only drink their tea hot and ice in general is rare. However, they manage to have a cold tea in her hand most of the time.

This evening we went to the World Expo 2010. I am still stunned. No words can describe the magnificence of the entire Expo park, especially at night. Several of the structures will stay after the Expo is over, but many will be torn down to make room for a new retail district. I was very moved by how committed the Shanghai people are to sustainability and a carbon-free print in the future.  They understand that they have made mistakes in the past, and they hope to not repeat them in the future. Fudan University arranged for us to have VIP entrance and treatment to the Chinese pavilion and the Shanghai exhibit. A once in a lifetime experience.

Dr. Pam Ehlers
Director of OSU Career Services

3 comments:

  1. It looks like a lot of fun. Hey, who's the pretty lady in the green shirt? She's got great hair. I love you Ally!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO pleased that Bri-Bri ate pig ears. :)

    Tawny

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the picture of you all with Hai Bao!

    ReplyDelete